Sunday, July 11, 2010

Trineos de Perros

Yesterday Lizzie and I decided to check out the winter scene and dog sledding in Valle Tierra Mayor.  Tierra Mayor is approximately 13 miles outside of Ushuaia.  It is reachable via group tour, taxi, remis and bus.  We were a bit too late to join a group so we decided to get there on our own.  Taxi/remis will run you $100 pesos each way ($25 USD) and you would have to call for pick-up at the lodge.  We opted instead to go to the bus depot and hitch a ride for $90 pesos for both of us round trip ($23 USD).

I would have just paid for the ride to Tierra Mayor!  Route 3 is one of the most scenic routes I have ever traveled (second to Banff National Park).  We could practically touch Monte Olivia and the Andes range.  The massive cliffs came right to the side of the road.  I was in complete awe.

We arrived at the Tierra Mayor lodge at 1pm and the driver told us she would be back to pick us up around 5pm.  Frankly, I was a bit worried that we wouldn't have enough to do over the 4 hours...we'd be popsicles!   Then I quickly reminded myself (again) that I'm on Patagonia time.  Nothing needs (or happens) quickly around here.

The lodge

Walking towards the lodge, Lizzie and I let out simultaneous "oohs" and "ahhs" .  We felt like we had just landed on the moon.  



Of all days, I was not at all prepared for the 15-20 degree temperatures in the valley.  It was practically summer in Ushuaia (35-ish) and I had very few layers on.  Thankfully Lizzie had brought an extra pair of wool thermals and let me borrow her snow pants.  Those pant SAVED my life.  It was a very very cold day indeed!  

The dog sledding ($100 pesos) was beyond amazing and sadly not nearly as long as I would have liked but considering the ridiculous temperature, I was happy to get back inside the lodge and warm up my frozen hands and feet!



brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Adorable!




The proper way to end a day!

I prefer to look at life through a good glass of wine :)